Saturday, September 22, 2007

The God of Guitar?????

Yesterday when I got my email that informs me about different events that take place around Bay Area, I was very upset. John McLaughlin was performing today at Masonic Center in the city as a part of San Francisco Jazz Festival. Had I known it before, I would have definitely gone. Not that I had any plans, I did not think that I could get tickets.

But I wanted to give one final try. I posted an ad on Craigslist. Then went to SFJazz website and checked the availability. To my surprise a few tickets were available. I bought the ticket and deleted my ad. My seat was on the side, that did not bother me much(Infact it turned out be a great seat).

I reached the city at around 6:15. I wanted to be a little earlier as parking in the city is superpainful. I just couldn't believe my luck. I got street parking right in front of masonic center's parking lot. After that I grabbed a quick dinner and went to the theater.

Another jazz guitarist Kevin Eubanks performed before intermission. He was excellent. After a break of about 20 minutes, John McLaughlin showed up in a blue and red colored pochampalli shirt(I had a similar chudidar) and auditorium exploded in applause. Many people I talked have seen him before, but a while ago. My seat was in perfect position to observe his hands.

There are couple of things I loved about McLaughlin. One, He gave every member of the ensemble to showcase their talent. Every performer pretty much got equal time, including him. The other the way he acknowledges his audience. He looks at them smiles and while talking to audience he moves around to every corner.

Now about his music, somethings are better left unsaid. To sum what I felt after the show, "What the hell! Why is it so short?" He is called The Consummate God of Guitar not without a reason.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

U lucccky bum...!!!! :D