Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Movies, Previews & Reviews

Previews are expected to give to an impression of what movie is all about. I watch a preview and think that I am going to watch a drama and the movie ends up being a mushy romantic film or a senseless action thriller. Latest in that list is 'The Kingdom'.

Watching the previews I thought that this is some film like Syriana. I liked Syriana. Infact the film opens with history of friendship between Saudi Arabia and US. A suicide bomber attacks an oil company picnic. After that it is a regular Hollywood action thriller.

If it is not a serious film and does not want to talk about politics, why do they give an impression that it is a political film? They are probably turning off the regular action movie watchers. Ofcourse you could ask me why the hell I haven't checked out the reviews. My reply "Oh yeah! Do they mean anything?" King Kong got rave reviews, but the movie royally sucked.

Now my point, don't rely on previews or reviews. Have a friend who watches every film that releases, and ask them the story and make your decision. :-).

3 comments:

Wudenspoon said...

hey manju,

logged in to ask you this.. are there any good desi movies in town? u go to the theater?

raghu

leo said...

Never got around to watching Syriana....the good action movies I saw in the last couple of years can be counted on fingers..sad...

pi said...

Syriana is more of a political thriller, if you can call it. It can be confusing if you are not deeply interested in US mid-eastern oil politics.