Wednesday, January 23, 2008

La Chinoise

Thanks to new wave and beyond festival at Berkeley. I am getting to watch a few great French Films. I happened to watch La Chinoise last Friday.

This film is one of the best films I have ever seen. Though I have heard about Godard before, this is the first time I watched his film. It is story of five roommates who listen to 'Radio Peking' and are influenced by Mao and Communist Manifesto. The film was shot mostly in an apartment with white walls, red doors and some graffiti on the wall. Most of the film takes place in skits and conversations.

Everything about the film was marvelous. First the subject. The movie talks not only talks about influence of Mao on young people, but also about Russian Chinese conflict and Vietnam war. For those who are aware of naxalism in India precisely know what this movie is talking about. As a political junkie I find all movies about politics interesting.

Direction is terrific. Film making was very unconventional. The film takes place as skits and conversations. It was made in 1967. In those times, I am pretty sure the movie would have created has a huge stir. The setting, style lighting and colors of clothing was amazing.

Another highlight of the film is the background score. It was western classical music, mostly violin. It stays with you for a long time.

There was a time I when I didn't care much about French film. When I mentioned it somebody, he said that I did not watch right cinema. After watching Alain Resnais, Jean Renoir, Truffaut and Godard I agree with him.

1 comment:

Karthik Narayan said...

nice post... keep blogging. would love to see more posts.